Monday, October 20, 2014

Polio Epidemic in Lancaster, PA, 1953

 




These "hot packs" are woolen pieces of cloth that were super heated, and put on the affected limbs (both of my legs were paralysed). They were left on until they lost most all their heat, but were removed before they cooled too much. This was part of the treatment that Sister Kenny, a young nurse from Australia devised to help those with Polio. She was a wise woman, a nurse who was very under-appreciated at the time.
 This picture was one of many taken at the local hospital where I spent several weeks in isolation, and getting "hot pack" treatments, and physical therapy, before transferring to the State Hospital for rehabilitation. September, 1953

While I was in the Elizabethtown Crippled Children's Hospital (which is now part of the Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA), I turned 6 years old. That's why I am dressed up and have all the gifts. My parents were only allowed to visit for a few hours every other Sunday. I sure missed them, as I spent almost a year in that hospital.

This is a picture of my mother visiting me. All visitors were required to wear masks. I am glad things are much better for kids who are hospitalized today. Parents are now allowed to be with their children for loving support. My mother even volunteered at the hospital in order to see me more often. They also brought food from home even though they weren't allowed to do that either.

This is my Dad, his mask is dropped!  Not long to visit, so it was hard for us kids to see our family members leave. But, I knew they loved me and would be back. And, someday, I just know that I would go home again...


Finally, after returning home, we took our first family vacation back to Ocean City. I had learned to walk quite well with a long, right leg brace or just using crutches. I loved to swim and loved to swim at the beach. I was allowed to do anything I felt I could do, and I grew up to be a typical teenager.  Below is a picture of me wearing my cool class jacket: Warwick High School, class of 1965.
Looks like I have a broken leg instead of a Polio operation one September.  A nice deception, but not the truth. My true friends didn't care, and I was blessed with many dear, true friends in my life.

pottery
© 2002 Jann Hartman, Polio Connectons (updated 10/2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment